Sourdough Bagels! Easier than making sourdough bread loaves BUT are just as impressive and amazing! Lets Make Them!
Ciera’s SOURDOUGH BAGELS Recipe
150g bubbly, active sourdough starter (that passes the float test)
250g warm water
24g granulated sugar
500g bread flour
9g fine sea salt
1 tbsp honey
Cooking spray & everything bagel seasoning or your choice of toppings
1. Make the Dough: In a large bowl, whisk the starter, water, and sugar together with a fork. Add the flour and salt. Combine to form a rough dough, then finish mixing by hand until no lumps. The dough will be very stiff and dry. Note: it’s important to use a large mixing bowl- this dough is strong and rises quite high. As a mixing alternative, use a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook; run on low speed for 5 to 6 minutes to combine and knead.
2. Cover the dough with a damp towel and let rest for 45-60min. After the dough has rested, work the mass into a semi-smooth ball, about 15-20sec.
3. Bulk Rise: Cover the bowl with a lightly coated plastic wrap and let rise until at least doubled in size, about 10-12hrs. (if in warmer weather/climate it may double in size in just a few hours)
*Once the dough is double in size, cover and chill the whole bowl overnight (it will continue to rise slightly in the fridge). Proceed using the cold dough the following day.
4. Shape: Line a sheet pan with parchment paper & lightly cover with cooking spray. Remove the dough onto a non- floured surface. Flatten the dough into a rectangle and divide into 8 equal pieces, about 115g each. Gather the ends, flip the dough over, and roll each piece into a ball. Let the dough rest on your sheet pan for 10-15 min.
5. Take a ball & poke a hole straight through the center. Move your finger in a circular motion to gently stretch the hole. Place dough back onto pan and continue with the rest.
6. Cover the dough with a damp towel and let rest for 15-20min. Bring a pot of water to a boil and whisk in the honey. Preheat oven to 425°.
7. Boil the bagels: Add 2 bagels into the pot and simmer for 30sec on each side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bagel back to the pan. Let slightly cool and dip into seasoning or seeds (optional)
8. Bake the bagels for 20-25min. When ready your bagels will be puffed up and light golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack!